For the past few years I have taken out a poster my parents gave me in 2020 called “Join the journey through Lent 2020.” In 2020 it was very welcome during our struggle through the pandemic. I look back and realize the company Forward Movement did not know about the dire straits of the people all over the world. It was, and still is, needed—a focus on Easter, Resurrection Day.
The journey is part of the celebration. I still use the road through Lent even though the dates are off, the journey is the same.
Here are some highlights:
- What will you give up for Lent?
- What will you take on for Lent?
- Make a prayer list of folks who are on your heart. Pray for them each day in Lent.
- Pick a quiet place to pray during Lent.
- Psalm 51:11, Matthew 4:1-11, John 4:5-42, John 3:1-17, John 9:1-41, Psalm 36:5-11, Psalm 118:24
- Note those things that simply amaze you.
- What will you do to care for creation this Lent?
- Practice forgiveness. You’ll find it can take practice.
- Lent is a season for repentance. It means change of direction. Where might you need to do that?
- If it isn’t about love, it isn’t about God.
- Lent is a season to prepare for Easter. Think and pray about how you will do that.
- Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, EASTER!
Join me on this journey. It’s a road worth taking.